THE OLD FASHIONED CHOW CHOW
This recipe for Homemade Chow Chow Relish is quick and easy to make. This Southern chow chow will be a hit with your guests! It has been a classic in Southern kitchens for a long time. You may use it to make the most of your summer garden crop by preserving it in this excellent way.
This chow chow relish is one of my favorites, and I’m glad to be sharing it with you. It’s been on my “to-do” list of dishes that I’d want to post on the website for quite some time. A new subscriber asked me to share a chow chow recipe, and I’m happy to finally cross that one off the list.
If you’ve never heard of chow chow recipe (not the cute dog breed of course), you’re probably wondering what it is exactly!! Chow chow is a type of relish, unlike pickle relish, which is prepared only of cucumber, this relish is composed of a variety of vegetables.
THESE ARE THE INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS « CHOW-CHOW » RECIPE:
- A small chopped head.Of cabbage.
- Green or red tomatoes, I used 6 medium-sized.
- 6 medium chopped bell peppers.
- 6 large chopped onions.
- 2 hot chopped peppers.
- 3 Cups.Of sugar.
- 5 Cups.Of white vinegar.
- Pickling salt, I used quarter a cup.
METHOD OF WORK:
- First Step: In a big saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the desired softness is achieved.
- Second Step: In order to preserve the freshness of the ingredients, this recipe is meant to be stored in pint jars.
- Third Step: This recipe makes 8 to 9 quarts. The recipe may be modified to serve just one night of dinner, but from the side this is not highly recommended!!!
I HOPE THAT YOU’LL ENJOY IT!!!